1865 Rogersville homestead among honorees as Century Farms
Put on your jeans and boots and celebrate our agricultural heritage in an historical setting as we honor the newest Century Farms in Greene County. The third annual “Salute to Century Farms” will be 6-9 p.m. Monday, Sept. 26 at the Round Barn Event Center along Clear Creek, 10731 W. US Hwy 160, near Walnut Grove.
The event location is historically known as the Octagonal Barn and is located 3.5 miles east of Ash Grove on Hwy. 160 (northwest of Springfield). The barn was built in 1880 and is probably the earliest polygonal or round barn in Missouri. Attendees will be treated to a full meal provided by Maggie Mae’s Catering from Miller.
During the event, Greene County Extension will also honor the newest “Century Farms” in the county and also recognize current Century Farm owners in attendance.
Four farms in Greene County will be recognized this year.
- Jayme Burchett, 40 acres in western Greene County, original owner: George M. Laney, great-great-grandfather, Year: 1873.
- Marina Lynn and Cary Dean Crandall, 40 acres near Springfield, originally owner: W.P. Cook, great-great-great-grandfather, Year: 1880.
- David and Kayann Tummons, 87 acres near Bois D’Arc, original owner: G.W. Haynie, great-grandfather of Kay, Year: 1879.
- Tim and Ashley Whobrey, 80 acres near Rogersville, original owner: Ira T. & Sarah Fulton, great-great-grandparents of Tim Whobrey, Year: 1865.
- Greene County’s 2016 State Fair Farm Family, Rick and Brenda Whitehead of Ash Grove, will be recognized.
Past Century Farm owners that attend will also be recognized and be entered in a drawing for a new metal Century Farm fence sign.
Judy Domeny Bowen of Rogersville will provide musical entertainment during the Century Farms banquet in the Round Barn Event Center. Many of her musical creations and humor are based on her experiences as a teacher. She will also serve as auctioneer for a live auction featuring various gift certificates and items donated by specialists working in Greene County. A complete list of auction items will be posted on the Greene County Extension website. All proceeds will benefit Greene County Extension.
This event is made possible by the following sponsors: Old Missouri Bank, Greene County Soil and Water Conservation District, American Business Systems, Sam’s Wholesale Club, Race Brothers Farm Supply, Greene County Commission, PFI Western Wear, KOLR/Ozarks First, Missouri Farm Bureau and Greene County Commonwealth.
Advance tickets are required and cost $25 per person. Tickets can be purchased at the Greene County Extension office or with a check or credit card using various tickets options online at http://extension.missouri.edu/greene. For more information, call the MU Extension office in Greene County at (417) 881-8909.